It’s the season of one of your favorite African fruits, ‘Agbalumo’ in Yoruba , ‘Idara’ in Igbo and ‘African white star apple’ in English. So here a 5 interesting things about Agbalumo/Udara :
- First of all the fruit as most fruits is very rich in vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin. Unlike most mammals and other animals, humans do not have the ability to make ascorbic acid and must obtain vitamin C from their diet. Agbalumo is a good source for vitamin C, the fruit is also rich in calcium, iron potassium, phosphorous and others.
- It is a natural antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals — molecules produced when your body breaks down food or is exposed to tobacco smoke and radiation. What this means is that by consumption of agbalumo you give your body a better chance of fighting and avoiding heart disease, cancer etc. The fruit is known to have anti-oxidant properties that help fight cancer and treatment of diabetes.
- The fruit contains just 67 calories. This fruit is very good for those who want to lose weight because you consume more and get fewer calories intake. It is also a good snacking fruit which can be used to stop hunger pangs.
- Frequent consumption of the fruit can help lower blood sugar and cholesterol thereby preventing or managing heart diseases. It is a very good recommendation for patient with heart problems.
- The agbalumo/udara is a natural remedies for toothache, constipation, sore throat, and much more. Also in some parts of Nigeria the seeds are used to treat vaginal and skin infections.